Travelling is really great but it tends to mess up your routines with so many variables at play, this however doesn’t mean you should slack on your fitness journey. In September I travelled quite a bit; the first trip messed my routine but by the second trip I had learned a few things. Below is my 5 tips for staying fit while travelling, I hope they come in handy.
Be intentional and plan your workouts- Depending on where you’re staying you need to have an idea of what workout routines you’re going to do. Even if you’re staying in a hotel gym you want to be able to do quick exercises and get moving with your trip’s activities.
- Make sure your workout is short and basic– a couple jumping jacks , squats and lunges nothing fancy.
- Keep your workout playlist updated
- Be open to making adjustments
- Do it early in the morning (before your day starts).
You might like this: 5 YouTube channels for home-workouts
Pack sports gear/comfortable clothes– When travelling you really want to carry as little as possible so obviously carrying weights won’t be ideal. Wear your sneakers while travelling and roll-up your workout clothes if space is a concern for you. I carried a resistance band with me I would have packed a jump rope but it broke a while back and I haven’t replaced it.
Walk or run were possible– You can relatively access if a neighbourhood is safe or not, the key is to do what you would normally do at home.
- Depending on where you are book for walking tours, walk to the store to get fresh fruit.
- Take the stairs
- Take a quick run or walk around your hotel/ accommodation this will also help you get a feel for the place, bonus sightseeing and if you’re like me help you from getting lost.
- Just move more
Stay hydrated– Carry water with you when you go out on your activities. Depending on where you are you might want to buy bottled water to ensure you drink safe and clean water. Getting sick on vacation is not fun.
Eat wisely– Travelling seems to make us lose focus and while indulging can be great but remember you have a “real” life to get back to. Sample the delights on offer’ just remember to eat your veggies and fruit just like your mama told you and not to overindulge on the booze. Bloating and dehydration are a no-no.
What are your tips for keeping fit while travelling? Do share with me in the comment section below.
Our social media links are below for day- to- day updates